The Llanos Orientales Region, in English the Eastern Plains, is one of the five natural regions of Colombia that belongs to the Orinoco River watershed and borders the Andes to the west, the Venezuelan coastal zone to the north, and the Amazon to the south. The Eastern Plains has more than a quarter of the Colombian territory, only has a small proportion of the population and it is known for the endless savannah, stunning sunsets, rivers, and other natural marvels.
This Region is considered one of the most important ecosystems in the world with two marked seasons: the rainy season and the dry season. Its climate is intertropical savannah, hot, except in the high plains with milder climate.
The Llanos is the home to incredible wildlife, with more than 100 species of mammals and more than 700 species of birds, which during the winter season –from May to October- part of the plains are flooded up to 1 meter and this converts the forest and grasslands into temporary wetlands, attracting around 70 species of water birds.
The travelers who explore Colombia’s plains are astounded by what they see and live: stunning places such as water falls, rivers and endless opportunities for ecotourism and adventure tourism thanks to its incredible fauna, biodiversity and unique landscapes.
Recommended activities in the Llanos Orientales Region
1. Learn the ways of Colombian Cowboys: Los Llanos is home to thousands of cowboys –in Spanish “llaneros”- hard working people who have lived by traditional ways for hundreds of years. Most of the tours in this region offer the chance to learn about these traditions and even have a go at milking, lassoing and herding cattle for themselves –not as easy as it sounds.
2. Taste the best meal in the region: The famous “Ternera a la llanera” in Spanish, or barbecue veal, is one of the most important dishes in Colombia. People from this region have perfected the art of cooking veal and over the years has become one of the best places in the country to enjoy a delicious cut of the finest veal.
3. Colombian safari: This region is known for its endless savannas which are rich in wildlife, and so conveniently flat and easy to navigate. This is one of the best places to experience ecotourism by driving in open topped jeeps in our version of a Safari.
4. Experience the best sunsets in Colombia: The Eastern Plains are also known by its beautiful sunsets. This is because the wide open plains of the Colombian Savannah make room for some of the most epic sunsets and sunrises in the whole country.
5. Best horseback riding adventures: Horseback riding tourism is very popular in this region. People from this part of the country see horseback riding as second-nature. From riding across wild rivers, to herding cattle on the vast plains, the Eastern Plains is probably the best place in the country to go horseback riding.
6. Wonderful dancing and music: This culture has produced some really wonderful and unique music and folklore dances. The traditional music genre is the “Joropo”, which is played with traditional guitar, maracas and harp.
So, what are you waiting for? Colombia is a vast country waiting to be explored, and the Llanos Orientales is one of those unexplored jewels that awaits you!
Come and feel the rhythm of the eastern plains!