Discover where to stay and the best things to do in Barichara, one of the country’s most beautiful and best preserved heritage towns. Nothing beats uncovering the secrets of Colombia’s colonial era and experiencing the magic and mystery of small Colombian towns.
What could be more fascinating than exploring the architecture of Colombia’s colonial past, in the stunning surroundings of the Colombian countryside? Barichara, in Santander, is one of 17 Colombian heritage towns that are unmissable for anyone interested in old buildings and Colombian heritage. No visitor will regret swapping the hustle and bustle of a city for a few days in Barichara, enjoying unparalleled views of the surrounding mountains. Andalusian style houses, cobbled streets and colonial era architecture are among the first things that will captivate you in this treasured Colombian town. Here we present the best things to do in Barichara to ensure you make the most out of your trip. Learn more about Colombian heritage destinations
Our guide to things to do in Barichara
The small town of Barichara is close to the city of Bucaramanga. At 350km from Bogota, it’s a fair distance from Colombia’s capital but well worth the trip. The town is best known for its intricate and well-preserved architecture, offering visitors the chance to step back in time and experience Colombia’s colonial past.
It makes a wonderful setting for photographs and vacation in Barichara, a place known for being peaceful and serene, thanks to the mountains that surround it.
You may be interested in places to visit and things to do in Bucaramanga
Where to stay in Barichara
There are many excellent hotels in Barichara to suit all your needs. Consider:
1. Hostal Casa Nacuma, which offers the warm welcome of a family home. This charming hostel has a kitchen where guests can prepare their own meals and plenty of amenities to ensure they feel at home. Shared rooms start at $35.000 Colombian pesos, and private rooms start at $60.000.
2. Casa Barichara Boutique. This boutique colonial house pampers its guests with a swimming pool, gardens and libraries, three hundred meters from the town’s central park. It’s the ideal place to rest and relax. Rooms for two start at $280.000 Colombian pesos.
Things to do in Barichara
No matter where you are traveling from, there are plenty of things to do in Barichara to ensure you make the most of your time in this charming Colombian town:
1. Ride in a tuk-tuk: Learn more about Barichara’s historic buildings by taking a tour with a local tuk-tuk driver. Most are based in the town’s main square with prices varying according to the tour’s duration.
2. Visit the Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception: This cathedral’s evocative architecture dominates the town’s central park and it’s worth visiting for its signature yellow stone and gold covered altar.
3. Visit the viewpoint: Enjoy the peace and tranquility of a vantage point with views across Serrania de los Yariguies National Natural Park, the Suarez River Canyon, La Fuente, Galan and Zapatoca.
There are so many things to do in Barichara that make this Colombian heritage town an unmissable destination. Visit today and enjoy everything Barichara has to offer.
You may also be interested in: